- Stage 1 - Puppy - Up to the age of 8 months
- Stage 1 - Adult - Over the age of 8 months
- Stage 2 - Foundation
- Stage 3 - Progressive - Following on from the Foundation
- Stage 4 - Jubilee - Following on from the Progressive
All exercises must comply with the APDT, UK Code of Practice and positive, motivational methods must always be employed . Clickers, food and toys may be used wherever needed and appropriate at the puppy stage for reward purposes but not as a lure.
Assessment to be made of handler's ability to deal with any problems that may occur in a kind, fair and effective manner while encouraging the puppy to go through the assessment criteria
Exercises Handler List of exercises will be provided.
If the level required in Stage 1 has already been achieved owners can request a one-off assessment and if a pass is attained, they may travel straight into Stage 2 of the awards (or further stages as applicable/achievements).
- To learn new skills with your puppy/dog
- To educate and train your puppy/dog to a good standard
- Respond to handlers and have awareness of dog ownership
- Will help owners understand how their dog thinks and learns?
- Teaching life skills which are needed to mix within our hectic environment, your puppy/dog will be helped to be a more balanced, happy puppy, and it will help avoid potential behavioural problems developing later in life.
- Using force free, kind reward-based training allows us to educate your puppy/dog and to provide them with the opportunity to learn essential skills. It also means we give them more choice and responsibility over their own behaviour, which means we end up with puppy/dogs who behave because they want to, NOT because they are forced to.
What exercises will I learn with my puppy/dog?
Stage 1 Puppy (up to 8 months)
- Puppies from 8 weeks - Adult (according to which stage you are progressing through)
- Any Breed
- Any Size
Stage 1 Adult beginners (over 8 months)
- Response to name or touch
- Positions - Sit, Down and Stand
- Leave it from hand
- Lead Walking
- Greeting Behaviour
- Lead Walking
- Positions - Sits, Downs, & Stands
- Full Examination
- Food Manners
- Door safety
- Vehicle Entry and Exit
- Play Manners
Stage 2 will include choice elements
Stage 2 Foundation
All participants need to pass the Core Elements as per above courses before moving on to the 'Choices'.
All exercises must comply with the APDT, UK Code of Practice and positive motivational methods must
always be employed . Clickers, food and toys may be used wherever needed and appropriate at
this stage for rewarding, but not luring, behaviour. All owners should be carrying poo bags.
All dogs must be wearing a suitable collar / fixed harness with ID tag.
Further new exercises.
Stage 3 Progressive
Good Companions Award Stage 3 - Progression Assessment
Stage 4 Jubilee
Good Companions Award Stage 4 - Jubilee Assessment